California Contractors License Schools

California Contractors License Schools
Preparing Students for the California Contractor's Exam Since 1982.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Military Veterans Get Preferred Application Processing for a Contractor's License

On October 13, 2016 in a show of support for our veterans, the Contractors State License Board announced that the applications received by veterans are being processed by specially trained staff for faster test date issuance. Include your DD-214 and I would suggest stapling a piece of paper on the application stating "Military Applicant".

Other documents you can submit but are not required:

Copy of ERB (Enlisted Record Brief)
Copy of ORB (Officer Record Brief)
Copy of DD2586 (Verification of Military Experience and Training form)
Copy of Joint Service Transcripts (military transcripts)
Sealed, official educational transcripts for formal civilian education

If you don't have a copy of your DD-214 (or any other document listed above) you can request one at

There is also expedited application service for spouses/domestic partners under certain circumstances.

For more information you can visit the official website of the Contractors State License Board at:

Sunday, June 12, 2016

The CSLB Streamlines The Application Process

The California State Contractors License Board has, in the last couple of months, streamlined the application process. They are now requiring less paperwork for applicants resulting in faster test dates for a large percentage of applicants.

If you were thinking about becoming a contractor, now is a great time to apply for your contractor's license.

Friday, January 22, 2016

New C-1 Classification for Handymen and Light Remodels

The Contractors State License Board is considering adding a classification of license that addresses the gap between light general work, such as handyman and light remodels, and more extensive general building such as additions and new construction. It is still in meetings and it is unsure at this point whether it will be approved. The idea is that a person who does general building work that does not include structural (load bearing) framing and is less than $15,000.00 (the new amount of a contractor's bond) will be able to legally contract. The problem currently is that a person who does construction that doesn't involve framing can't qualify for a B-General Building license but is required to be licensed to do work that is $500.00 or more. More on this issue soon.